Operating costs are low and the Québec government provides attractive tax incentives.
As in any jurisdiction, certain additional considerations are relevant including:
- Registration of Business: Companies operating a business in Québec must register in Québec and provide certain information.
- Language Considerations: French is Québec’s ofﬁcial language. Some obligations are imposed on companies carrying on a business in Québec.
- Employment and Labour Law: Québec employment and labour legislation includes employment standards, health and safety legislation, pay equity, and privacy as well as human rights legislation prohibiting discrimination.
- Immigration and Transfer Intra-Company: Any person, other than a Québec resident, must obtain a certiﬁcate of acceptance for temporary work to engage in employment in Québec. Executives, managers and specialized knowledge workers may receive a work permit for Québec without ﬁrst obtaining conﬁrmation of the job offer.
- Environmental Law: Québec environmental law gives every person the right to a healthy environment and to its protection, and to the protection of the living species inhabiting it. Non-compliance with this legislation can result in potentially large ﬁnes.