Trade Advice: Clients look to us for advice on maximizing the benefits and managing the risks that arise from trade agreements such as NAFTA and the WTO.
We are widely recognized for our experience in international trade policy and regulatory matters, and have assisted governments in formulating compliant trade and economic policies as well as companies looking to influence trade rules.
We help clients monitor and participate in trade negotiations, and to understand the risks and opportunities presented by new agreements such as the Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement.
Trade Litigation: We represent clients in litigating all types of international trade disputes, including investor-state arbitrations, WTO and NAFTA claims, anti-dumping, countervailing duty and safeguards investigations, procurement disputes, and customs investigations, seizures and audits. Our lawyers regularly appear before all Canadian courts and are experienced in international arbitration in all the major arbitration centers such as the London Court of International Arbitration, the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes, the International Chamber of Commerce, and the American Arbitration Association.
Trade Compliance: Operating internationally creates a host of risks. We help our clients minimize those risks with effective compliance programs, internal audits and investigations, and compliance due diligence in areas as diverse as export controls and sanctions, anti-corruption, and customs programs.
How can we help?
- Anti-dumping, countervailing duty and safeguard investigations
- Customs law, including value for duty, transfer pricing, classification and origin
- Import and export controls, economic sanctions and trade embargoes
- Investor state arbitration under trade agreements and bilateral investment agreements
- Strategic application of trade and investment agreements, including WTO, NAFTA, and CETA
- Civil and internal investigations for non-compliance
- Seizure, forfeiture and penalty cases